One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in vertebrates) the enclosing structure formed by the pelvis, providing attachment for the hind limbs or pelvic fins.
- ‘The femur, in the thigh, articulates at the hip joint with the pelvic girdle, linking the legs to the vertebral column via the sacro-iliac joints.’
- ‘Incomplete jaws, premaxilla, postorbital and other cranial fragments; some isolated postcranial material, including one half neural arch, dorsal portions of pectoral and pelvic girdles, a humerus, and femoral and tibial fragments.’
- ‘The bones of the pectoral and pelvic girdles formed broad plates on the underside of the body to where the limbs and powerful swimming muscles were attached.’
- ‘The single sacral vertebra is usually somewhat stouter than surrounding vertebrae and has a relatively robust rib that articulates with the ilium of the pelvic girdle.’
- ‘All of these ligaments are supportive and connective in nature and serve to stabilize the muscles and organs within the pelvic girdle.’
- ‘The pectoral and pelvic girdles were also greatly expanded ventrally, although the dorsal parts of the girdles were reduced.’
- ‘At the same time, the vertical sag of the tail about the pelvic girdle would have decreased abdominal volume through the cuirassal apparatus.’
- ‘Males possess a larger spine on the first vertebra behind the pelvic girdle.’
- ‘The first dorsal is moved back behind the pelvic girdle.’
- ‘Because of the shell, the pectoral and pelvic girdles are uniquely located within the ribcage.’
- ‘But it is misleading, bordering on deceitful, because the skeleton is drawn as a complete animal, with no indication of the fact that far fewer bones were actually found, including the all-important pelvic girdle.’
- ‘In some frogs, stride length is further increased by symmetrical forward movement of the entire pelvic girdle relative to the vertebral column.’
- ‘The initial symptoms of symmetric bilateral aching and stiffness in the neck musculature and shoulder and pelvic girdles are usually insidious but can begin abruptly with an accompanying febrile illness.’
- ‘Elements of the pelvic girdle were significant predictors of locomotor performance.’
- ‘The pelvic girdle is almost complete, although pubic and ischial plates are very thin and fractured.’
- ‘Because the balloonfish lacks pleural ribs and a pelvic girdle, expansion is not as strictly inhibited as in most fish.’
- ‘These include muscles used to maintain body posture, such as those in the neck, shoulders, and pelvic girdle.’
- ‘There was a chair made out of a pelvic girdle, its legs constructed from human thighbones and feet.’
- ‘The pelvic girdle is relatively unspecialized.’
- ‘The hind legs up to the pelvic girdle were cleaned to the bone, leaving only the paws intact.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.