One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to an ancient people inhabiting the coasts and islands of the Aegean Sea and eastern Mediterranean before the arrival of Greek-speaking peoples in the Bronze Age.
- ‘The Pelasgian race has never yet left its home; the Hellenic has wandered often and far.’
- ‘Ancient historical traditions of the Greeks, Egyptians, Phoenicians and Assyrians, mentioned a vast empire of the Pelasgian race, which in its epoch of power and greatness had extended over a great part of Europe, Asia and Africa’
A member of the Pelasgian people.
- ‘He was said to be the son of the Titans Cronos and Rhea: in that way the Hellenic invaders grafted their chief god onto the divine family of the indigenous Pelasgians.’
- ‘The Pelasgians may have been the Sea People who around 1200 B.C. invaded the Egyptian Empire.’
- ‘The Pelasgians, the extended people of the ancient world, had ruled in ante-historical times not only over Hellada, but over the entire Hem peninsula.’
Late 15th century: via Latin from Greek Pelasgos + -ian.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.