One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American usually as modifier A level of amateur sports, involving children aged eight or nine.‘a peewee baseball team’
- ‘He sponsors an Urban League girls basketball league and an AAU boys travel team, and he bought equipment last year for a peewee football team.’
- ‘I remember one time I scored seven goals in a peewee game when I was eight.’
- ‘He has been snapping so long - since his peewee days - that he knows how to grip the ball to make it spin into the holder's hands so the laces won't be a problem.’
- ‘We were in the peewee semifinals for all of Ontario.’
- ‘Ferrell plays Phil, a peewee soccer coach driven to insanity by his scarily competitive relationship with his father.’
- ‘Good things apparently come in twos as well as threes - at least when it comes to the North Shore Winter Club's Winterhawks peewee hockey teams.’
- ‘The top three in peewee barrel racing were Tyler Scherger, Wyatt Branden and Brecken Tulloch with times of 18.433, 19.136 and 19.194 seconds respectively.’
- ‘I hadn't done that in front of my dad since my last year in peewee football.’
- ‘I would hold a team meeting and ask each of the rookies to recount the moments when they really came through under pressure - whether it was in peewee golf, college or on tour.’
- ‘It's like a peewee golf course for fishermen.’
- ‘In the game's final 14 minutes, Gretzky did whatever he pleased, toying with the league's best as if they were a peewee team.’
- ‘Then I'd come home, and there would be peewee soccer or Little League.’
- ‘This isn't peewee football, where teams are grouped into age categories because of the huge advantages older kids have (in size, strength, speed, and coordination) over younger ones.’
- ‘You can come, but I've got to have you home by six for peewee practice.’
- ‘Last season he coached the peewee team to the league title but fell to rivals Surrey and Richmond in the provincial playdowns.’
- ‘The penultimate sibling in a brood of four girls and three boys reared by Karen Dawsey, Brackins is 9 when he first puts on football pads for a peewee league team.’
- ‘Promotional costs - for example, sponsoring a peewee football team - are also deductible as long as there is a clear connection between the sponsorship and your business.’
- ‘On either side of the play-park was a green park where people usually walked their dogs, or went for walks on sunny afternoons, or hosted peewee practice for numerous sports.’
- ‘He played T-ball, then moved on to peewee baseball, and played on the high school team since he was in seventh grade at the middle school.’
- ‘I was winning science fairs left and right, getting my picture in the paper for spelling bees and peewee football games, and many more little achievements of mine.’
- 1.1 A player at peewee level of amateur sport.
- ‘They have beaten Western goliaths, such as the Spurs and Lakers, but have lost to peewees, such as the Bulls and Grizzlies.’
- ‘Taekwon-Do classes for peewees are held in the Leisure Centre on Mondays and Wednesday from 5 to 6pm.’
2North Americanvariant spelling of pewee
3A small marble.
Mid 19th century (in peewee (sense 3 of the noun)); peewee (sense 1 of the noun) is imitative; peewee (sense 2 of the noun, are from wee, by reduplication.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.