One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American usually as modifier A level of amateur sports, involving children aged eight or nine.‘a peewee baseball team’
- ‘The top three in peewee barrel racing were Tyler Scherger, Wyatt Branden and Brecken Tulloch with times of 18.433, 19.136 and 19.194 seconds respectively.’
- ‘I hadn't done that in front of my dad since my last year in peewee football.’
- ‘He has been snapping so long - since his peewee days - that he knows how to grip the ball to make it spin into the holder's hands so the laces won't be a problem.’
- ‘I remember one time I scored seven goals in a peewee game when I was eight.’
- ‘Ferrell plays Phil, a peewee soccer coach driven to insanity by his scarily competitive relationship with his father.’
- ‘He sponsors an Urban League girls basketball league and an AAU boys travel team, and he bought equipment last year for a peewee football team.’
- ‘I was winning science fairs left and right, getting my picture in the paper for spelling bees and peewee football games, and many more little achievements of mine.’
- ‘On either side of the play-park was a green park where people usually walked their dogs, or went for walks on sunny afternoons, or hosted peewee practice for numerous sports.’
- ‘Last season he coached the peewee team to the league title but fell to rivals Surrey and Richmond in the provincial playdowns.’
- ‘It's like a peewee golf course for fishermen.’
- ‘You can come, but I've got to have you home by six for peewee practice.’
- ‘This isn't peewee football, where teams are grouped into age categories because of the huge advantages older kids have (in size, strength, speed, and coordination) over younger ones.’
- ‘We were in the peewee semifinals for all of Ontario.’
- ‘In the game's final 14 minutes, Gretzky did whatever he pleased, toying with the league's best as if they were a peewee team.’
- ‘He played T-ball, then moved on to peewee baseball, and played on the high school team since he was in seventh grade at the middle school.’
- ‘The penultimate sibling in a brood of four girls and three boys reared by Karen Dawsey, Brackins is 9 when he first puts on football pads for a peewee league team.’
- ‘Good things apparently come in twos as well as threes - at least when it comes to the North Shore Winter Club's Winterhawks peewee hockey teams.’
- ‘I would hold a team meeting and ask each of the rookies to recount the moments when they really came through under pressure - whether it was in peewee golf, college or on tour.’
- ‘Then I'd come home, and there would be peewee soccer or Little League.’
- ‘Promotional costs - for example, sponsoring a peewee football team - are also deductible as long as there is a clear connection between the sponsorship and your business.’
- 1.1 A player at peewee level of amateur sport.
- ‘Taekwon-Do classes for peewees are held in the Leisure Centre on Mondays and Wednesday from 5 to 6pm.’
- ‘They have beaten Western goliaths, such as the Spurs and Lakers, but have lost to peewees, such as the Bulls and Grizzlies.’
2North Americanvariant spelling of pewee
3A small marble.
Mid 19th century (in peewee (sense 3 of the noun)); peewee (sense 1 of the noun) is imitative; peewee (sense 2 of the noun, are from wee, by reduplication.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.