Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting processes occurring in soil or leading to the formation of soil.
- ‘Palaeosol horizons are interbedded with these units, representing the pedogenic alteration of exposed floodplain sediments.’
- ‘Other processes that are, however, important on local scales include aeolian, lacustrine, and pedogenic processes.’
- ‘Basal erosion surfaces are locally overlain by a grey pebble-sized lag of mud chip and pedogenic carbonate clasts.’
- ‘All of the pedogenic features have hydromorphic characteristics, produced by extended periods of water saturation.’
- ‘The red mudstone horizons preserve extensive pedogenic textures and desiccation cracks indicative of mature palaeosol development.’
From pedo- + -genic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.