One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chemical used to kill lice.
- ‘Treatment for all of the above involves a pediculicide.’
- ‘The treatment of head lice is now complicated by the emergence of resistance to pediculicides.’
- ‘Head lice are thought to be the most common type and are developing resistance to commonly used pediculicides.’
- ‘Growing resistance to many of the pediculicides commonly used to treat head lice may contribute to the recently noted increase in cases of infestation.’
- ‘Now there's a new approach to head lice: it's non-toxic, dry-on pediculicides that suffocate and kill the little critters.’
Early 20th century: from Latin pediculus ‘louse’ + -cide.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.