Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Excessive concern with minor details and rules.‘to object to this is not mere pedantry’
dogmatism, purism, literalism, formalismpretentiousness, pomposity, pompousness, dullness, tediumView synonyms
- ‘Sometimes the corrections are amusing exercises in pedantry.’
- ‘As a director, his perfectionism / pedantry would have tested the patience of any producer.’
- ‘To criticise animation for being too perfect may seem like pedantry and it's clear that a lot of work went into the film.’
- ‘There is much pedantry, but every so often there is stark beauty.’
- ‘So scrupulous, and so close to perfect: that's the impression the reader is intended to glean from such exercises in pedantry.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.