One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The lowest or fundamental note of a harmonic series in some brass and wind instruments.
2A note sustained in one part (usually the bass) through successive harmonies, some of which are independent of it.
- ‘Its beautiful sound tapestry was created by a freely flowing association of textures such as polytonal chord clashes, rapid repeated notes, and pedal points.’
- ‘Might the sostenuto pedal be employed to play a pedal point so the left hand does not have to sustain it?’
- ‘He also used sighing suspensions, and unexpected leaps to hold on to bass pedal notes to create chords.’
- ‘At first, whirling scales and broken arpeggios scamper across the keyboard, hopefully tethered by tonic pedal notes in the bass.’
- ‘Opening in a serene, almost mystical, manner, the work features a chain of sonorities that alternately rise and fall over a long pedal point in A-flat major.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.