One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or consisting of money.‘he admitted obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception’
financial, monetary, money, fiscal, economic, capital, commercial, budgetaryView synonyms
- ‘After all, it's just a piece of metal suspended by a machine-made ribbon with no jewels or special pecuniary value.’
- ‘The pecuniary advantage lost by the dependant need not be merely financial.’
- ‘It will cover pecuniary and non-pecuniary damage to hotel and restaurant guests, customers and visitors.’
- ‘Under capitalism, the motives guiding decisions are pecuniary, not personal, selfish, not social.’
- ‘There may be any number of reasons: personal, political, pecuniary.’
Early 16th century: from Latin pecuniarius, from pecunia ‘money’, from pecu ‘cattle, money’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.