One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a pair of fins situated on either side just behind a fish's head, helping to control the direction of movement during locomotion. They correspond to the forelimbs of other vertebrates.
- ‘They have one caudal fin, one dorsal fin, two pelvic fins, one anal fin, and two pectoral fins.’
- ‘Paired pectoral fins and a dorsal fin were present, and the caudal fin was asymmetrical with a large upper lobe.’
- ‘Look at the shape and size of the dorsal fin, pectoral fins, and the caudal fin.’
- ‘They have strong pectoral fins with spines that are serrated on the outer side.’
- ‘One of the fossil's most intriguing aspects is the large, paired spines on the shark's pectoral fins, the side fins used for steering.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.