One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gregarious piglike mammal that is found from the southwestern US to Paraguay.
Family Tayassuidae: two genera and three species, in particular the collared peccary (Tayassu tajacu)
- ‘Finding one of these big peccaries all by itself and away from its herd was unprecedented in our experience.’
- ‘The snout of peccaries has the same mobile cartilaginous disk and terminal nostrils as pigs.’
- ‘From what scientists can tell, their preferred diet is deer and wild pigs called peccaries.’
- ‘It cannot be swallowed whole, but some animals, such as the paca or the peccary, are able to open the seed with their teeth.’
- ‘The park's peccaries, a type of wild boar, could be first to end up in the tiger's den.’
Early 17th century: from Carib pakira.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.