One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Land consisting largely of peat or peat bogs.
- ‘Patterned fens are one of five morphologically distinct types of peatlands occurring in Maine.’
- ‘Limestone, serpentine, and acidic rock types are extensive in western Newfoundland; peatlands, fens, and forest cover large areas.’
- ‘Several authors have observed increased species richness in forested vs. open peatlands, because of the higher degree of habitat heterogeneity offered by a forest.’
- ‘But scientists and conservationists are just beginning to fully understand the role of peatlands in the environment.’
- ‘Flooding by hydroelectric reservoirs is especially detrimental to permanently frozen peatlands because the overall permafrost regime is completely altered or obliterated.’
- ‘Preliminary calculations suggest peatland could become carbon generators if global temperatures continue to rise, drying out the peatlands.’
- ‘These regions, in fact, did support widespread wetlands and/or peatlands in the historical past, which subsequently became filled in, ploughed over, and drained.’
- ‘The trees and peatlands of the vast northern boreal forest comprise one of the planet's largest carbon reservoirs.’
- ‘These records considerably enhance the scientific and conservation value of peatlands, for it is only by understanding the recent past that we can evaluate fully the present environment.’
- ‘Soggy peatlands, wetlands, or increased agriculture could all lead to increases in the carbon levels.’
- ‘There was so much interest in peatlands during this period that a Canadian Peat Society was formed in 1911.’
- ‘Northern wetlands, especially peatlands, play a major role in global carbon cycles and climate change because they fix carbon from atmosphere in the biomass of the living vegetation.’
- ‘Only a small proportion of Ireland's vast peatlands is still of conservation importance.’
- ‘Much more work is needed to understand peat accumulation processes in permanently frozen peatlands.’
- ‘Peat-free products are those which are not sourced from the natural peat bogs and peatlands.’
- ‘Mr Lobley will be helping to monitor how the thawing of vast peatlands is affecting the environment by releasing gases into the atmosphere.’
- ‘‘If other experts believe that this higher level of CO2 is propelling global warming, then of course tropical peatlands are part of that,’ he added.’
- ‘While the 460 ft-high turbines will not infringe on the peatlands, there is concern that an extensive 104-mile road network criss-crossing the landscape will cause irreparable damage.’
- ‘She said the West Siberian Lowland indeed falls within a hot spot but added that whether thawing peatlands will accelerate global warming remains an open question.’
- ‘Where and how water is situated within wetlands, especially peatlands, is controlled by physical characteristics of the peat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.