One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large absorbent moss that grows in dense masses on boggy ground, where the lower parts decay slowly to form peat deposits. Peat moss is widely used in horticulture, especially for packing plants and (as peat) for compost.
Genus Sphagnum, family Sphagnaceae: many species
- ‘Germinate seeds in containers filled with a sterilized mix of equal parts soil, sphagnum peat moss and perlite.’
- ‘Well-rotted manure, leaf mold, peat moss or compost are just a few of the organic materials that can be added to your soil.’
- ‘Abelia will take sun or partial shade and should be grown in acid soil enriched with peat moss or leaf mold.’
- ‘Sphagnum peat moss and sand can be added to amend heavy soils.’
- ‘What about fertilizer, bone meal, peat moss, and all those other additives they are going to try and sell you at the garden center?’
- ‘Add humus in the form of compost, peat moss or chopped leaves to improve clay or sandy soil.’
- ‘Next he filled the gutter with a mixture of weedless topsoil, finely screened compost and peat moss and planted his favorites - geraniums - in the mini planter.’
- ‘Look for one containing vermiculite and perlite, sphagnum peat moss, a little ground bark and sand.’
- ‘Make sure you wet the peat moss thoroughly, then just pack it on the butt ends of the cuttings.’
- ‘The problem is that the chemical only lasts three to six months, and once it loses its effectiveness the peat moss will tend to either hold too much water or none at all.’
- ‘Bark, rotted manure, leaf mold, peat moss and compost are good choices for organic ingredients.’
- ‘Rotted cow manure, compost, shredded sphagnum, granulated peat moss, sawdust and ground corncobs are some materials that may be worked thoroughly into the soil.’
- ‘Whatever she uses to cover her newly planted seeds - sphagnum peat moss, compost or soil - can be applied with her flat sifter.’
- ‘Many gardeners prefer to mulch the beds with peat moss or grass clippings and do away with cultivating.’
- ‘You could dig the trench and fill it with sand or mulch or peat moss and make it easy to re-dig.’
- ‘When planting trees and shrubs, the more compost, peat moss and other amendments you can mix into the ground, the better.’
- ‘If you want to add any amendments, such as compost or peat moss, work them into the soil.’
- ‘Seepaul said customers were also stocking up on manure, peat moss and miracle grow fertilisers for today's exercise.’
- ‘A common soil mix is one part sphagnum peat moss or composted bark or compost, one part vermiculite or perlite, and one part sand.’
- ‘If the soil is particularly poor or has had problems with compaction, add at least 2 inches of peat moss, leaf compost, or other organic material.’
2A lowland peat bog.
peat moss/ˈpēt ˌmôs/
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.