One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A toy weapon consisting of a small tube that is blown through in order to shoot out dried peas.
- ‘This is the second time in about an hour that I've had those pea-shooters pointed at me, and it's really not impressing anyone.’
- ‘Put that real gun back in the counter and let me see the sissy-looking pea-shooter again.’
- ‘I'd have got a Bic biro and chewed up bits of paper and spat them through the pen at him like an old pea-shooter.’
- ‘He's reciting Shakespeare in a talent show but he can't seem to get his lines out - because the gang's pelting him with pea-shooters!’
- ‘In awe of your older brother Dane, you shot a pea-shooter at his horse, causing it to throw him and inflict injuries from which he later died.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.