One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An elongated freshwater bivalve mollusk which occasionally produces small pearls, found in large rivers of the northern hemisphere.
- ‘His PhD thesis looked at the ecology and conservation of the freshwater pearl mussel in Donegal.’
- ‘The River Lickey is a very significant habitat for the shellfish commonly known as the pearl mussel because of the worthless pearls it produces.’
- ‘The project won the national award for its work in improving the River Licky and helping to preserve a rare fresh water mussel, commonly known as the pearl mussel, which lives in the river.’
- ‘Over the three-day event, some 20 specialists gave presentations on a wide range of environmental topics including Dr. Evelyn Moorkens who spoke about the plight of the local Nore pearl mussel which is in imminent danger of extinction.’
- ‘Referring to the suggestions of a threat to the fresh water pearl mussels in the nearby Lickey river, he said the protection of the river has at all times been a consideration for the county council.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.