Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The hypothetical point in time when the global production of oil reaches its maximum rate, after which production will gradually decline.
- ‘About 50 countries, including the United States, have already passed their point of peak oil output, he said.’
- ‘Prices cannot go much higher without us beginning to feel the foreshocks of a peak oil catastrophe.’
- ‘In November, the City of Denver will co-host the first national conference on peak oil production in nearly a decade.’
- ‘There is a large body of expert opinion, marshalling impressive statistics, which is convinced that peak oil is imminent.’
- ‘The Government is failing to apply its foresight on climate change to the closely related issue of peak oil.’
- ‘For a more general response to common peak oil criticisms, you can explore my Peak Oil Media Guide from last year.’
- ‘Energy Bulletin is a terrific compilation of peak oil reports from the mainstream news media.’
- ‘Unlike some people, I don't think peak oil will destroy civilisation.’
- ‘Lots of people here talk all the time about global warming, or peak oil, or conservative scheming, or an asteroid impact.’
- ‘They also provide a massive opportunity to help cope with peak oil.’
- ‘Peak oil makes the search for alternative energy sources more pressing.’
- ‘The timing of peak oil is of more than academic importance.’
- ‘These investments would perhaps give the fund an advantage in the second phase of peak oil.’
- ‘Kunstler relates the now standard warning about a flu pandemic, whose impact he says will be magnified by its coincidence with peak oil.’
- ‘In peak oil terminology we are over the cliff.’
- ‘There is optimism that the Northern Rivers region could become a leader in a peak oil future.’
- ‘Liberal Democrat concerns are led by John Hemming, who chairs the 32-member all-party parliamentary group on peak oil.’
- ‘Whether or not peak oil is upon us, the end of the cheap oil era certainly is.’
- ‘The onset of peak oil will devastate the suburban American way of life.’
- ‘Yet the emerging supply demand imbalance is only the beginning of the peak oil problem.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.