One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The maximum of electrical power demand.
- ‘California's peak loads are very close to total generating capacity in the area.’
- ‘The United States has about 80,000 megawatts of isolated standby generation, representing about 12 percent of system peak load, so its potential impact as a peak-shaving resource is significant.’
- ‘With a million birds in seven large chicken houses - each of which draws a peak load of up to 150 kilowatts - farmer Jim Bailey has a strong incentive to control his power consumption.’
- ‘The priority then shifted to preparing for the summer peak load, requiring replacement of at least one of the stations.’
- ‘But that bit's done, and the focus is definitely on a sustainable future where thermal fills a supplementary role for peak loads and dry years, rather than being baseload generation.’
- ‘Rising energy prices, especially on peak loads, make an even stronger case for going after savings.’
- ‘It is no longer necessary to outfit towers with capacity for the peak load - capacity that will sit idle during off-peak hours.’
- ‘Another startling statistic - during summer peak loads, 60 to 70 percent of all electricity produced in the country is used to air condition homes and commercial buildings.’
- ‘Taiwan's peak generation capacity will reach 32,204MW in the summer, compared with an expected peak load of 27,190 MW, Lee said.’
- ‘We're far better off with a mix of wind and hydro, with thermal generation for peak loads.’
- ‘The local power pool, however, offered a demand-response program for cutting peak loads when wholesale power prices got too high.’
- ‘Varying the recharging schedule has reduced the peak loads.’
- ‘The battery pack serves to provide 6 kilowatts of peak load to the motor.’
- ‘Bangalore is reporting a peak load of 1,100 MW which is expected to spike by another 100 MW.’
- ‘Karl Rabago, managing director at the Rocky Mountain Institute, estimates that these programs in California reduced peak loads by about 1,700 megawatts.’
- ‘These heat pumps also have other energy-saving features, including the capacity for multi-zone control and utility management of peak loads.’
- ‘To be fair, the 110-watt power draw occurs when the device is operating at peak load (with all engines spun up and doing work).’
- ‘Unfortunately, in California, the wind doesn't blow when the peak loads occur.’
- ‘This ingenious scheme is actually limited to utilities whose peak load occurs on winter nights, which applies to fewer and fewer utilities today.’
- ‘Calls for such reductions typically come the day before or the morning of a period when the local power grid expects to have trouble meeting its peak load.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.