Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The maximum of electrical power demand.
- ‘It is no longer necessary to outfit towers with capacity for the peak load - capacity that will sit idle during off-peak hours.’
- ‘Bangalore is reporting a peak load of 1,100 MW which is expected to spike by another 100 MW.’
- ‘With a million birds in seven large chicken houses - each of which draws a peak load of up to 150 kilowatts - farmer Jim Bailey has a strong incentive to control his power consumption.’
- ‘This ingenious scheme is actually limited to utilities whose peak load occurs on winter nights, which applies to fewer and fewer utilities today.’
- ‘Calls for such reductions typically come the day before or the morning of a period when the local power grid expects to have trouble meeting its peak load.’
- ‘Taiwan's peak generation capacity will reach 32,204MW in the summer, compared with an expected peak load of 27,190 MW, Lee said.’
- ‘The local power pool, however, offered a demand-response program for cutting peak loads when wholesale power prices got too high.’
- ‘Karl Rabago, managing director at the Rocky Mountain Institute, estimates that these programs in California reduced peak loads by about 1,700 megawatts.’
- ‘We're far better off with a mix of wind and hydro, with thermal generation for peak loads.’
- ‘These heat pumps also have other energy-saving features, including the capacity for multi-zone control and utility management of peak loads.’
- ‘Unfortunately, in California, the wind doesn't blow when the peak loads occur.’
- ‘To be fair, the 110-watt power draw occurs when the device is operating at peak load (with all engines spun up and doing work).’
- ‘Another startling statistic - during summer peak loads, 60 to 70 percent of all electricity produced in the country is used to air condition homes and commercial buildings.’
- ‘The battery pack serves to provide 6 kilowatts of peak load to the motor.’
- ‘Varying the recharging schedule has reduced the peak loads.’
- ‘California's peak loads are very close to total generating capacity in the area.’
- ‘The priority then shifted to preparing for the summer peak load, requiring replacement of at least one of the stations.’
- ‘Rising energy prices, especially on peak loads, make an even stronger case for going after savings.’
- ‘The United States has about 80,000 megawatts of isolated standby generation, representing about 12 percent of system peak load, so its potential impact as a peak-shaving resource is significant.’
- ‘But that bit's done, and the focus is definitely on a sustainable future where thermal fills a supplementary role for peak loads and dry years, rather than being baseload generation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.