One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The maximum of electrical power demand.
- ‘We're far better off with a mix of wind and hydro, with thermal generation for peak loads.’
- ‘The local power pool, however, offered a demand-response program for cutting peak loads when wholesale power prices got too high.’
- ‘Another startling statistic - during summer peak loads, 60 to 70 percent of all electricity produced in the country is used to air condition homes and commercial buildings.’
- ‘Rising energy prices, especially on peak loads, make an even stronger case for going after savings.’
- ‘But that bit's done, and the focus is definitely on a sustainable future where thermal fills a supplementary role for peak loads and dry years, rather than being baseload generation.’
- ‘California's peak loads are very close to total generating capacity in the area.’
- ‘These heat pumps also have other energy-saving features, including the capacity for multi-zone control and utility management of peak loads.’
- ‘Unfortunately, in California, the wind doesn't blow when the peak loads occur.’
- ‘It is no longer necessary to outfit towers with capacity for the peak load - capacity that will sit idle during off-peak hours.’
- ‘Calls for such reductions typically come the day before or the morning of a period when the local power grid expects to have trouble meeting its peak load.’
- ‘Taiwan's peak generation capacity will reach 32,204MW in the summer, compared with an expected peak load of 27,190 MW, Lee said.’
- ‘Bangalore is reporting a peak load of 1,100 MW which is expected to spike by another 100 MW.’
- ‘The priority then shifted to preparing for the summer peak load, requiring replacement of at least one of the stations.’
- ‘The United States has about 80,000 megawatts of isolated standby generation, representing about 12 percent of system peak load, so its potential impact as a peak-shaving resource is significant.’
- ‘This ingenious scheme is actually limited to utilities whose peak load occurs on winter nights, which applies to fewer and fewer utilities today.’
- ‘To be fair, the 110-watt power draw occurs when the device is operating at peak load (with all engines spun up and doing work).’
- ‘The battery pack serves to provide 6 kilowatts of peak load to the motor.’
- ‘With a million birds in seven large chicken houses - each of which draws a peak load of up to 150 kilowatts - farmer Jim Bailey has a strong incentive to control his power consumption.’
- ‘Varying the recharging schedule has reduced the peak loads.’
- ‘Karl Rabago, managing director at the Rocky Mountain Institute, estimates that these programs in California reduced peak loads by about 1,700 megawatts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.