A brightly colored Eurasian butterfly with conspicuous eyespots on its wings.
- ‘Now the BBC's Springwatch survey reveals where the first bumblebees, seven-spot ladybirds, peacock butterflies, swifts, frogspawn and hawthorn have been spotted.’
- ‘The survey revealed that the first record of peacock butterflies was on Boxing Day and, on average, the peacock butterfly is appearing over two weeks earlier than 30 years ago.’
- ‘Perhaps most surprising is that the peacock butterfly, not normally spotted until March, has already been widely recorded, with a sighting on 28 December last year and others seen flying about in the snow.’
- ‘Not just the usual cabbage whites this year, but tortoiseshells, red admirals, painted ladies and peacock butterflies too.’
- ‘We saw 2 peacock butterflies too.’