One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period when a country is not at war.
- ‘He often proved more expert than the experts, both in peacetime economics and in wartime strategy.’
- ‘In peacetime, we err on the side of caution, since nothing we do in training is worth the life of one of our soldiers.’
- ‘It is not necessary today to stress upon the importance of iron and iron industry in both war as well as peacetime.’
- ‘The only thought that comes to mind is that this marks the end of peacetime.’
- ‘Moving hundreds of convoys into one of the poorest countries in the world within weeks would probably be impossible in peacetime.’
- ‘The request for such a large number of troops is unprecedented in peacetime.’
- ‘It should be organized and carried out continuously both in peacetime and wartime.’
- ‘This may accomplish a more effective support to a fleet both in peacetime and in wartime.’
- ‘Both schemes were considered inappropriate in peacetime post-war Britain.’
- ‘Seldom in peacetime has a British government sanctioned such a rate of expenditure increase.’
- ‘Those who commit crimes during a political conflict rarely pose a threat to society in peacetime.’
- ‘It will heavily emphasize a nation at war, but festivities will rival those held during peacetime.’
- ‘The ability of military courts to prosecute civilians ended during peacetime.’
- ‘Does war reporting justify a different set of ethics than those applied in peacetime?’
- ‘Yet, there was no telling how the wartime alliance and its successes would play in peacetime.’
- ‘We should have the skills to create such systems and control them in peacetime and wartime.’
- ‘The president realised that their economy was great for making tanks and guns and planes, but what do you do in peacetime?’
- ‘Most people know this to be so during wartime, but the same is true during peacetime.’
- ‘Costs involved in each option will be assessed for both peacetime and wartime.’
- ‘People were calling for the same sorts of controls that were in place in the war to continue in peacetime.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.