One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tobacco pipe offered and smoked as a token of peace among some North American Indians.‘on his wall hangs a peace pipe he bought in the Innu settlement next to his hometown’figurative ‘with the ink hardly dry on a three-year wage deal, the government sat down with employers and labor to smoke the peace pipe’
- ‘They shared the sacred peace pipe with Gurudeva and gave him a sacred drum.’
- ‘After a full afternoon, they sit down for supper, but realize that they must smoke a peace pipe to end their Indian battles.’
- ‘The two arch-rivals have been trying to smoke the peace pipe ever since Jamali seized the initiative and spoke to his Indian counterpart earlier this week.’
- ‘No, in your world everything can be solved with a peace pipe and a handshake.’
- ‘Above the clasped hands are a peace pipe and a tomahawk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.