One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(on a website) an arrangement whereby access is restricted to users who have paid to subscribe to the site.
- ‘It could have done what you say while still keeping some print columnists and the archives behind a paywall.’
- ‘Then, sometimes, after some time of free availability the content may be moved back behind the paywall into some kind of archive.’
- ‘The Wall Street Journal did a story today - behind the pay wall - about Hollywood squeezing above-the-title movie actors in light of the current economic system.’
- ‘Implementing a newspaper paywall is a comparatively straightforward task.’
- ‘Solutions bandied about include digital subscriptions (a la Wall Street Journal and Financial Times), pay walls and micropayments.’
- ‘The irony here though is that Techdirt, having preached against such paywalls, goes and sets one up itself!’
- ‘Unfortunately, the articles are all behind paywalls.’
- ‘Please, please, please, please, please DO put all of your incestuous pro-state propaganda masquerading as news behind a paywall.’
- ‘Why did they take down the pay wall?’
- ‘Being a former medical professional I can tell you locking up research info behind paywalls is a heinous crime!’
- ‘Actually, you're right… their site also uses breakable URLs and puts everything behind a pay wall.’
- ‘But it will only be temporary: the thing about a paywall is that you want people to keep paying.’
- ‘The paywall is one kind of black curtain: this is a more deadly one.’
- ‘I'm not saying whether they should or shouldn't use paywalls or anything like that.’
- ‘And don't think some smart media execs and entrepreneurs aren't salivating over the opportunity of some major publications to go behind the paywall.’
- ‘Techdirt puts up a paywall, and up and coming copyright blogs can now fly under its wings, by stealing that paywall content!’
- ‘Recap is not the first to liberate these documents from behind the paywall.’
- ‘The full story is behind a paywall.’
- ‘Assuming this rate holds, you can turn 1,000,000 daily visitors into 50 paying visitors with a paywall.’
- ‘The New York Times has finally killed its paywall.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.