One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(on a website) an arrangement whereby access is restricted to users who have paid to subscribe to the site.
- ‘Actually, you're right… their site also uses breakable URLs and puts everything behind a pay wall.’
- ‘The irony here though is that Techdirt, having preached against such paywalls, goes and sets one up itself!’
- ‘Unfortunately, the articles are all behind paywalls.’
- ‘Being a former medical professional I can tell you locking up research info behind paywalls is a heinous crime!’
- ‘And don't think some smart media execs and entrepreneurs aren't salivating over the opportunity of some major publications to go behind the paywall.’
- ‘Assuming this rate holds, you can turn 1,000,000 daily visitors into 50 paying visitors with a paywall.’
- ‘I'm not saying whether they should or shouldn't use paywalls or anything like that.’
- ‘Please, please, please, please, please DO put all of your incestuous pro-state propaganda masquerading as news behind a paywall.’
- ‘Recap is not the first to liberate these documents from behind the paywall.’
- ‘Implementing a newspaper paywall is a comparatively straightforward task.’
- ‘The Wall Street Journal did a story today - behind the pay wall - about Hollywood squeezing above-the-title movie actors in light of the current economic system.’
- ‘Techdirt puts up a paywall, and up and coming copyright blogs can now fly under its wings, by stealing that paywall content!’
- ‘It could have done what you say while still keeping some print columnists and the archives behind a paywall.’
- ‘The paywall is one kind of black curtain: this is a more deadly one.’
- ‘The New York Times has finally killed its paywall.’
- ‘Solutions bandied about include digital subscriptions (a la Wall Street Journal and Financial Times), pay walls and micropayments.’
- ‘The full story is behind a paywall.’
- ‘But it will only be temporary: the thing about a paywall is that you want people to keep paying.’
- ‘Why did they take down the pay wall?’
- ‘Then, sometimes, after some time of free availability the content may be moved back behind the paywall into some kind of archive.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.