One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pay much more than a fair price.
- ‘For this, you need to know that you will pay through the nose; in fact you may well bleed through the nose when you see the bill.’
- ‘We were paying through the nose for everything.’
- ‘The people don't want to pay through the nose for even more spin.’
- ‘The charge payers are paying through the nose for nothing.’
- ‘More and more people are keeping pets as companions or substitutes for children, and paying through the nose for the privilege’
- ‘Most cars drive better on the standard fit wheel, so you could be paying through the nose to make driving slightly less comfortable.’
- ‘Many companies must be paying through the nose on employees' medical bills.’
- ‘People no longer have to compromise their standards or pay through the nose.’
- ‘But you'll be paying through the nose for four years whereas I'll only have to survive a few more semesters.’
- ‘Detractors complain about the outrageous prices of tickets, yet punters have not stopped paying through the nose.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.