One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An envelope containing an employee's wages; a pay envelope.
- ‘A modern apprenticeship now offers work-based learning with hands-on career experience, access to qualifications as well as a pay packet at the end of the month.’
- ‘It was handed over in a brown envelope, a true pay packet.’
- ‘It was not a 9 to 5 job by any means, neither was it a job that you could be sure you got a weekly wage, or monthly pay packet either, you needed a side line.’
- ‘I have so many friends who are after that extra bonus in their pay packet.’
- ‘She was the mother who nagged, the wife who demanded the unopened pay packet, the grannie who made you eat your cabbage.’
- ‘I have done all I can and have put money in but its two months since I picked up a pay packet - something has to give and enough is enough.’
- ‘People on the national average income, $45,000, will receive an additional $4 per week in their pay packet from July 1.’
- ‘I'm sure they would rather the city gave each one a £20 bonus in their Christmas pay packet.’
- ‘I want to start earning money again, I miss picking up my pay packet.’
- ‘Well, I suppose, dear employer, I do still like getting the pay packet at the end of the month.’
- ‘Contracted players have not had a pay packet for five weeks, while non-contract staff including Harris have not had any cash for almost five months.’
- ‘Although there are still 28 shopping days to go, this weekend could be the high point of the bonanza, as stores expect customers to be armed with their last pay packet before Christmas.’
- ‘Then they look at their pay stubs, their pay packet, and they say ‘This does not compute’.’
- ‘Twenty-four hours after being arrested for on-the-job drunkenness the suspended teacher was busted yet again for DUI when he returned to pick up his pay packet.’
- ‘He had picked up his pay packet on the Friday of his disappearance at 3pm and had left work immediately.’
- ‘His mother thought that I should have simply confiscated his pay packet, that's what she'd always done and she thought that's what I should do too.’
- ‘Staff at more than 30 local schools are to get a bonus in their pay packet.’
- ‘Because there will be 27 pays this year instead of the usual 26, many public and private sector employees will receive an extra pay packet.’
- ‘My first pay packet contained £44 - big money in 1973!’
- ‘They are discovering there is more joy in working at what they're passionate about than just putting in the hours for a monthly pay packet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.