One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pawnbroker's shop, especially one where unredeemed items are sold to the public.
- ‘With business booming, local pawnshops take no chances.’
- ‘I love scouring pawnshops and Cash Converters, used book, CD and video stores.’
- ‘Police also conducted an audit of local pawnshops to find stolen goods.’
- ‘The medicinal shop just a few doors down from the pawnshop was a very small building.’
- ‘Resources could be spread over the year or week by credit from the local store or taking possessions to the pawnshop.’
- ‘In many states, pawnshops are the classic example.’
- ‘Even in the lousiest of pawnshops it wouldn't have fetched anything worthwhile.’
- ‘Well, a lot of this gear ends up in local pawnshops.’
- ‘She knew that she was in luck when she saw a small pawnshop tucked away in the corner of the alley.’
- ‘He couldn't buy more than he already had, without having to take some of the items to other pawnshops or to auction houses.’
- ‘I passed countless restaurants, nightclubs, strip clubs, pawnshops, and apartment buildings as I made my way down the block.’
- ‘Our only used bookstore has gone, to be replaced by a pawnshop, of all things.’
- ‘There are instant-finance places, pawnshops, and everything else.’
- ‘The generals and the contractors buy up beach property and own stock in the institutions that bankroll the pawnshops.’
- ‘Their business interests ranged from salt, iron, cotton, silk and tea to various financial endeavours, including pawnshops, private banks and account bureaux.’
- ‘Somebody in the Boston pawnshops might recognize her.’
- ‘One hundred and fourteen mobile phones were confiscated from the pawnshops.’
- ‘Like tax preparation services, pawnshops and auto dealers serve as middlemen for such loans.’
- ‘I had to go in and out of pawnshops and drug stores every day for more than four years.’
- ‘Second-hand stores and pawnshops in Vancouver send in 400,000 routine reports each year on the items they purchase.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.