One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an American Indian confederacy formerly in Nebraska, and now mainly in Oklahoma.
- ‘Of the Kansas Indians, there were the Kaws and Pawnees and still others.’
- ‘The Pawnees not only supplied directions and provisions for the Marsh expedition but entertainment as well, answering Grinnell's questions about their history and racing their horses against his.’
- ‘Since I was young, the Pawnees and the Comanches have been enemies.’
- ‘These groups included the Blackfoot, Cheyenne, Crow, Kiowa, Pawnee and the Sioux Nations.’
- ‘Trained as a scientist, not a moralist, Grinnell logged the words, actions, practices, history, and religious beliefs of Blackfeet, Pawnees, and Cheyennes as accurately and faithfully as possible.’
2The Caddoan language of the Pawnee.
- ‘The Caddoan language family includes the Caddo, Wichita, Pawnee, and Arikara languages, which are found on the central Plains.’
Relating to the Pawnee or their language.
- ‘Indeed, the military force protecting the railroad builders included a troop of Pawnee scouts, who were highly regarded.’
- ‘An elder Pawnee dancer rested in the bleachers wearing the full regalia of a ‘Straight Dancer’.;’
- ‘He initially printed Pawnee stories in the pages of his own magazine and then collected them in book form.’
- ‘His vivid portrayals of Huron, Apache and Pawnee warriors make history come alive.’
- ‘Young Pawnee warriors proudly stole horses and scalps from their enemies, the Sioux.’
From Canadian French Pani, from a North American Indian language.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.