One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘And the outcome doesn't quite work - wobbly credibility giving way to patness.’
- ‘I enjoyed The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, but the minor weaknesses in those films - their occasional obviousness, patness, and preachiness - blossom into the defining characteristics of The Majestic.’
- ‘The absence of spontaneity, the patness of the artistic and intellectual approach, the resulting weakness of the drama brings about the question: how many indelible moments has he created?’
- ‘It is not that we need any sort of patness, and there is much to be said for stories that are not tied up too neatly, but occasionally one encounters an almost wilful irresolution.’
- ‘But there are some obvious problems here, including metaphorical patness and the fact that it almost certainly couldn't have happened that way.’
- ‘The cafés don't really appear as mysterious objects of enquiry, but as a way in to literary-political tropes of stunning familiarity and patness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.