Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- variant spelling of Pashtun
- ‘There are also several distinct ethnic and linguistic groups in Pakistan, including Pathans, Punjabis, Sindhis, and Baluchis.’
- ‘Like the Pathans of Indian cricket, there are other youngsters out there with the ability to become youth icons.’
- ‘The Pathans call it Abbaseen, Father of Rivers.’
- ‘Another well-known Indian Muslim community is the Pathans.’
- ‘But what did amaze the Greeks were the Pathans who lived there.’
From Hindi Paṭhān.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.