Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The overall length of the path followed by a light ray or sound wave.
- ‘The path length for the laser flash between the quartz window and the fiber was 0.5 mm.’
- ‘Without amplification, a single photon traveling a marathon path length doesn't make a difference.’
- ‘Average path length is 3.1 for the actual networks and 6.6 for the random networks.’
- ‘A wave refers to an optical path length that may not equal a physical distance in the optics.’
- ‘Therefore it follows that the path length corresponding to the coherence time is called the coherence length.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.