Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A medical test, typically a blood test, to determine whether a man may be the father of a particular child.
- ‘After it is born we can have a paternity test to prove it.’
- ‘‘Olivia's got a history of cystic fibrosis in her family so she's going to get a chorionic villus done along with a paternity test,’ he told me.’
- ‘In the following four months he still sent out paternity test results purporting to be from the Canadian company.’
- ‘Jake, Cassie, Guy and Lucas went to the hospital for the paternity test.’
- ‘In particular, the courts will be able to recommend less invasive DNA sampling, as well as blood tests, which may lead to more people taking the paternity test.’
- ‘I made her take us to a DNA testing lab, and Joey and I took a paternity test, and it turned out that Angela was right.’
- ‘Yes, you can schedule a paternity test at the desk.’
- ‘So he decided that there would be a prenatal paternity test.’
- ‘Until a paternity test was completed he did not know whether Dysan was his son or his brother's.’
- ‘‘I need you take a paternity test,’ she blurted out.’
- ‘But as the movie progresses, we learn there is no need for a paternity test.’
- ‘I refuse to believe any of this until a paternity test is done.’
- ‘I accept that there was some delay occasioned by the father's failure to respond expeditiously for a paternity test and to provide full disclosure.’
- ‘Once the child was born, she decided to have a paternity test done.’
- ‘He said it wasn't his, and when my daughter was born he made us have a paternity test.’
- ‘Nurse, bring the paternity tests - I think I've found my real father!’
- ‘The man, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, found out he was not the five-year-old's father through a DNA paternity test.’
- ‘It takes years - and a paternity test - before the man will recognize his son.’
- ‘The paternity test was conducted by medical staff working in a laboratory owned by Shanghai's Biostar Genechip Inc Group.’
- ‘He never asked for a paternity test, never asked why I didn't call him as soon as I found out, he never asked anything.’
paternity test/pəˈternədē test/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.