One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Leather with a glossy varnished surface, used chiefly for shoes, belts, and purses.
- ‘I had removed my patent leather shoes after a while, for they foundered badly in the sand.’
- ‘So unless you're going to the gym or wearing white patent leather shoes with a white tux, there's no reason for you to wear white socks ever again.’
- ‘Opt for black patent leather shoes or simple black leather if you don't want to spend money on a new pair.’
- ‘He's wearing the right gear, too: a dark blue jacket, a black T - shirt, pin-striped trousers and patent leather shoes with shiny silver buckles.’
- ‘Little girls going to Sunday school back in the 60s all wore these little black, patent leather shoes.’
- ‘And can I just say how much I love this patent leather shoe trend?’
- ‘Wear button-up shirts (paisley if possible) and black patent leather shoes with silver clasps.’
- ‘To round the picture off he slips his silk socked feet into black Italian square-toed, patent leather shoes.’
- ‘My patent leather shoes clicked as they hit the pavement.’
- ‘The focus is not on wearing a fancy Easter bonnet and new patent leather shoes.’
- ‘Tori walked out onto the deck, her patent leather shoes clicking on the wood.’
- ‘Personnel who received patent leather shoes during the trial period can continue to wear these items.’
- ‘If you get patent leather shoes you will probably be the only person there wearing them, so I wouldn't bother.’
- ‘Formal shoes are made from shiny patent leather; they should also be simple (plain or capped toe) and freshly polished.’
- ‘Fabrics are conspicuous and exuberant: velvets, patent leather and faux crocodile leather.’
- ‘On her feet are black patent leather court shoes with clean soles.’
- ‘You still wear see through dress socks & pointy patent leather dress shoes to weddings.’
- ‘Her two young daughters went to school each day in starched dresses and patent leather shoes.’
- ‘His feet were wet, cold and sore - his patent leather shoes offering little protection from snow or terrain.’
- ‘She slipped her feet into her black patent leather shoes, and admired herself in the mirror.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.