Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Tendons - these are tough bands that join the muscles of the upper and lower leg, and also hold the patella (knee cap) in place.’
- ‘No other patient had an articular cartilage injury of the patella, trochlea, or tibia.’
- ‘A vertical incision is made over the pes anserinus insertion halfway between the medial border of the patella ligament and the posterior margin of the tibia.’
- ‘The joint is held in place by ligaments and covered at the front by the patella (kneecap).’
- ‘The patella, or kneecap, is a floating bone within the tendon of the quadriceps muscle group.’
- ‘The selection of the points of reference on the patella for the second line (B - [B.sub.1]) can be complicated by the fact that the contours of the articular surface of patellae vary.’
- ‘The combined tendon of quadriceps attaches to the superior and medial borders of the patella, and in part in front and beyond the patella to join the patellar ligament.’
- ‘Twelve distal femoral condyles, proximal tibial condyles, and patellae were harvested; all soft tissue was removed.’
- ‘He broke his tibia and damaged his patella tendon and anterior cruciate ligament.’
- ‘Typical sites for such separation include the medial femoral condyle and the patella.’
- ‘The iliotibial band is a thick band of fascia that crosses the hip joint and extends distally to insert on the patella, tibia, and biceps femoris tendon.’
- ‘Cartilage under the patella or kneecap wears away and the surface becomes rough and grainy.’
- ‘For example, resurfacing of the patella with a patellar button is practised routinely, selectively, or not at all.’
- ‘I had my knee reconstructed back in September and the surgeon took a strip from my patella to reinforce the cruciate ligament.’
- ‘In our experiment, the sensor was sutured to the patellar tendon so that the sensor would stay underneath the patella when the knee flexed to different flexion angles.’
- ‘The goal is restoration and maintenance of balance of the patella within the trochlea.’
- ‘The patella and entire patellar tendon were left intact.’
- ‘Bone plugs from the patella and the tibial tubercle were taken in line with the incised tendon by using a small saw.’
- ‘Encourage the patient to relax the quadriceps and push the patella medially back into place.’
- ‘The patella is the largest sesamoid bone in the body and provides increased mechanical advantage for knee extension.’
Late 16th century: from Latin, diminutive of patina ‘shallow dish’, from Greek patanē (see paten).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.