One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Tendons - these are tough bands that join the muscles of the upper and lower leg, and also hold the patella (knee cap) in place.’
- ‘The patella is the largest sesamoid bone in the body and provides increased mechanical advantage for knee extension.’
- ‘The patella and entire patellar tendon were left intact.’
- ‘I had my knee reconstructed back in September and the surgeon took a strip from my patella to reinforce the cruciate ligament.’
- ‘Cartilage under the patella or kneecap wears away and the surface becomes rough and grainy.’
- ‘The goal is restoration and maintenance of balance of the patella within the trochlea.’
- ‘In our experiment, the sensor was sutured to the patellar tendon so that the sensor would stay underneath the patella when the knee flexed to different flexion angles.’
- ‘Twelve distal femoral condyles, proximal tibial condyles, and patellae were harvested; all soft tissue was removed.’
- ‘The iliotibial band is a thick band of fascia that crosses the hip joint and extends distally to insert on the patella, tibia, and biceps femoris tendon.’
- ‘The patella, or kneecap, is a floating bone within the tendon of the quadriceps muscle group.’
- ‘For example, resurfacing of the patella with a patellar button is practised routinely, selectively, or not at all.’
- ‘A vertical incision is made over the pes anserinus insertion halfway between the medial border of the patella ligament and the posterior margin of the tibia.’
- ‘The combined tendon of quadriceps attaches to the superior and medial borders of the patella, and in part in front and beyond the patella to join the patellar ligament.’
- ‘The selection of the points of reference on the patella for the second line (B - [B.sub.1]) can be complicated by the fact that the contours of the articular surface of patellae vary.’
- ‘He broke his tibia and damaged his patella tendon and anterior cruciate ligament.’
- ‘Typical sites for such separation include the medial femoral condyle and the patella.’
- ‘Bone plugs from the patella and the tibial tubercle were taken in line with the incised tendon by using a small saw.’
- ‘The joint is held in place by ligaments and covered at the front by the patella (kneecap).’
- ‘No other patient had an articular cartilage injury of the patella, trochlea, or tibia.’
- ‘Encourage the patient to relax the quadriceps and push the patella medially back into place.’
Late 16th century: from Latin, diminutive of patina ‘shallow dish’, from Greek patanē (see paten).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.