One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small isolated platform of coral.
- ‘Although organ-pipes had higher abundances in patch reef environments, columnar and massive species exhibited broad, completely overlapping distributions and had abundances that were not related to reef environment.’
- ‘In the Caribbean, however, B. candida is typically found in the shallow subtidal (one to two meters), attached to live corals on patch reefs in relatively calm water.’
- ‘Hermatypic (reef-building) corals form fringing reefs along coastlines, patch reefs on the shelves, and sometimes barrier reefs along the shelf edge.’
- ‘To the west of Boli Mulah lies a banana-shaped giri, or patch reef, creating its own tight channel.’
- ‘Most days started with a pair of big wall dives around a patch reef in the morning, followed by a shallower site for the afternoon dive.’
- ‘During his briefing, the captain illustrated the structure of the patch reef and how the boat was anchored near its center.’
- ‘Chief among these is The Islands, a dense, labyrinthine concentration of pinnacles and patch reef just off the Dahab shore.’
- ‘In general, organ-pipes prefer patch reef environments and are more abundant there than on the reef crest.’
- ‘We used a two-factor ANOVA to compare nearest neighbor distances between continuous reef and patch reef habitat with habitat type and sampling year as the main effects.’
- ‘Only 25 to 30 feet, Dog Rock has patch reef, coral heads and swim-throughs, but was exceptional thanks to silversides in the tens of thousands.’
- ‘It turns out that we dived around a little patch reef last night, so all we had to do was swim out along the stern line, keep the rock to our left and we would eventually get back to where we started.’
- ‘He adds that patch reefs have a higher abundance and diversity of corals than the degraded coastal reefs and that some of these species may be more tolerant to warmer waters.’
- ‘Initial phase males are proportionally more abundant in larger populations that become denser when they aggregate at the patch reef edge to spawn each day.’
- ‘The patch reef fish fauna at the St. Croix site was more dependent on plankton, while that at One Tree Reef was more dependent upon algae.’
- ‘The westside transects were placed in the ‘in situ patch reef,’ composed of Porites and Montastraea.’
- ‘The upper Middle Ordovician rocks are carbonate platform deposits and include numerous patch reefs or bioherms.’
- ‘In St. Croix, S. radians also occurs on patch reefs where both large and small males maintain territories and harems; in patch reef habitats particularly, individuals can attain extraordinarily large sizes.’
- ‘This site, known as the Hoher Goll, consists of limestone deposited in a shallow-water carbonate complex characterized by abundant coral and spongiomorph patch reefs.’
- ‘The healthy fringing and patch reefs support a multitude of reef life including nurse sharks, moray eels, turtles, large barracuda and tarpon, and giant manta rays.’
- ‘The patch reefs grew in isolation on a broad, shallow subtidal ramp.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.