Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pocket made of a separate piece of cloth sewn onto the outside of a garment.
- ‘Also, look for jackets featuring minimal lining and patch pockets; they'll remain popular for many seasons to come because they can easily be combined with sportier pants to give you a more relaxed appearance.’
- ‘Lumber jackets were well-combined with polo jumpers and patch pockets with dark nuances of blue, green and brown.’
- ‘It features a left chest patch pocket, a clean front, and a shirttail hem.’
- ‘The patch pocket on her jacket was supposed to have been ripped off.’
- ‘With ageless patch pockets, elasticated cuffs and waist band, this is a must.’
- ‘And since military style is stomping onto the fashion scene, jackets with defined shoulders, sharp cuts and patch pockets are extremely fashionable.’
- ‘The tops of patch pockets really place stress on garments.’
- ‘Skip the pleats patch pockets to keep things streamlined.’
- ‘The pant is a 14-oz. double knit 100% polyester full-length pant, with full elastic waistband, belt loops, metal zipper, and a back patch pocket.’
- ‘Made from 100% rayon, additional details include a patch pocket, open collar, coconut shell buttons and a straight bottom hem.’
- ‘Experiment with the placement of applied details, such as patch pockets, appliqués and braid trims.’
- ‘Side 1 features designer patch pockets with hidden security pockets inside. Side 2 has two patch pockets with zipper closures.’
- ‘The desert camouflage night pattern trousers have a front opening, two-side slit type openings with flaps, and two hip patch pockets with flaps.’
- ‘All that's needed is a canvas khaki green belt, or even a jacket with patch pockets and very defined shoulders.’
- ‘Officers in various forces have been wearing the new uniform, which includes a fleece to replace the normal pullover, and combat-style trousers with patch pockets on the legs.’
- ‘Her pants were khaki wide-leg French twill pants with sailor-style side-button closures and two back patch pockets.’
- ‘Made of 100% cotton, 5-oz. twill, these button-downs have fine details like double-needle stitching for added durability, patch pockets and button-down collars.’
- ‘You can find some with patch pockets and/or elbow patches, others with big lapels and double-sided vents, but they all contribute to a revival of retro looks, circa the late '70s.’
- ‘Almost all denim garments have bar-tacks at strategic points, such as the top of patch pockets, at the curve on the fly top-stitching, on the belt loops.’
- ‘On the denim vest pictured, for example, replace or cover the original patch pockets and upper collar with fringing fabric.’
patch pocket/paCH ˈpäkət/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.