Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A board in a switchboard, computer, or other device with a number of electric sockets that can be connected in various combinations.
- ‘In the case of electrical machines, this was done typically by plugging wires into sockets on a patch panel (computing machines whose function is determined in this way are referred to as ‘program-controlled’).’
- ‘The photo above shows an example of patch panels in each machine room.’
- ‘The patch panel should be located in a room that has clean electrical lines for your data switches.’
- ‘A great way to get started provided you have a patch panel or analog mixer to serve as a breakout box, and you already have a MIDI interface.’
- ‘Tobyhanna is also designing and fabricating patch panels that allow the components to be connected in any configuration necessary.’
- ‘I calmly replied, ‘Gee sir, those are switches… the patch panel is over here.‘’
- ‘The apartments feature structured cabling and patch panels bringing video and audio technology into every room.’
- ‘Examples of Navy CDMs include radios, patch panels, multiplexers and tactical communications data links.’
- ‘The main distribution facility houses main termination patch panels and supports ‘core’ technology equipment, such as the main data network router and switch.’
- ‘Next, add an additional 10% safety margin to the estimated loss to accommodate for distance estimation errors, additional losses resulting from poor splices, patch panels, and allowing for future maintenance (splices, etc.).’
- ‘A recent carrier business case study looked at a network with a discrete network element configuration totaling 23 bays, including MSPPs, DWDM, ATM, IP router, GigE switch, and patch panel / interconnections.’
- ‘Many vendors test from the patch panel to the desk and no further.’
- ‘We also carry Cat 5e and Cat 6 cables, fiber optic cables, panels/cabinets, keystone jacks, wall plates, patch panels and tools’
- ‘Anyway, I tell him to jack a loopback cable into his patch panel.’
- ‘The cables pulled themselves out of the patch panels and switch gear?’
- ‘These systems are the mostly hidden infrastructure of wires, jacks and patch panels that form the foundation of a LAN.’
- ‘The patch panel port numbers should be written on the port switch plates throughout the campus, and also recorded on a wiring diagram.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.