One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Highly seasoned smoked beef, typically served in thin slices.
- ‘The deli plate was indeed made up of a selection of cured ham, pastrami, prosciutto and cheeses along with red peppers stuffed with cream cheese, a lovely strong chicken liver pâté and some sweet and chutney-ish pickled onions.’
- ‘Their Steaming Carter Dome stacks roast turkey, pastrami, Swiss cheese and homemade cole slaw on rye.’
- ‘Roggen or rye beers make suitable escorts for the highly spiced style of pastrami, fennel, or pepper riddled salami and sausage.’
- ‘And it wanted to outfit its plants with facilities for preparing cooked meats like pastrami, corned beef, and kabobs.’
- ‘Johnny's ‘New York’ Pizza is no more ‘New York’ than pastrami at the Waffle House.’
- ‘Lay off highly processed lunch meats such as pastrami and salami - they're full of fat, sodium and nitrates, which might increase the risk of heart disease and cancer.’
- ‘Zone in on those oversized sandwiches built with hot corned beef or pastrami served on soft, sturdy, seedless rye.’
- ‘Cured meats like bacon, corned beef, ham and pastrami contain preservatives called nitrates that have been linked to stomach and colon cancers.’
- ‘Here we're not talking chateaubriand and Kobe steaks, but briskets of beef and hot pastrami sandwiches the size of combat boots.’
- ‘My friend had the cold Serbian appetiser, which included pastrami, parma ham, and the wonderful peppered creamed cheese.’
- ‘So it's very satisfying when the guy who makes my coffee remembers I don't take sugar, and the butcher tells me colorful stories about neighborhood characters while he slices pastrami.’
- ‘You can order the three pounds of pastrami sliced or unsliced.’
- ‘He ordered a vegetable frittata - a pie-like omelette with veggies embedded - while I had pastrami and cheese sandwich.’
- ‘I regularly use the recipes for pastrami, smoked salmon and cured ham.’
- ‘Michael was completely converted by Katz's pastrami.’
- ‘Here Burke's true creative genius originated such staples as salmon bacon, pastrami salmon, and swordfish chops.’
- ‘The day's specials were tomato and basil soup which we saw being served steaming, chicken jalfrezi and pastrami and Swiss toastie with relish and red onion.’
- ‘There are packages of sliced soy ‘lunch meat’ fashioned to look and taste like ham, turkey, salami and even pastrami.’
- ‘We sat at the bar (where else could you possibly want to sit?) and ordered some coffee, poached eggs with pastrami for me, poached eggs with bacon for Maxence, a bialy each and a tiny tub of cream cheese.’
- ‘Soy foods like hot dogs, soy sausage, tempeh, and even soy pastrami are also great substitutes because they contain no saturated fat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.