One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The major Jewish spring festival which commemorates the liberation of the Israelites from Egyptian slavery, lasting seven or eight days from the 15th day of Nisan.
- ‘It was the Romans who initiated and enacted this form of punishment meted out during the Jewish festival of Passover.’
- ‘As a consequence, most Christians eventually ceased to regulate the observance of Easter by the Jewish Passover.’
- ‘All holidays on the Jewish calendar, especially Passover, celebrate and reinforce this collective identity.’
- ‘We are in the last hours of the life of Jesus of Nazareth, in the spring of roughly the year 30, at the time of the Jewish feast of Passover.’
- ‘Every year, Jews celebrate the Feast of Passover to commemorate the liberation of the Children of Israel, as commanded by God in Exodus 13.’
- ‘The Passover is one of the holiest days on the Jewish calendar.’
- ‘This event, called the Exodus, is commemorated by the Jewish holiday of Passover.’
- ‘For the Jewish people, the Passover was one of those events.’
- ‘In Israel, Passover lasts seven days, so it ended yesterday.’
- ‘Do we, as Christians keep, as he kept, the Jewish Passover?’
- ‘Each of the seven weeks between Passover and Shavuot is dedicated to examining and refining one of them.’
- ‘This year, 5762 in the Jewish calendar, the Jewish people celebrate Passover with great sadness.’
- ‘The Jewish festival of Passover was all but nationalised because it told the story of the Exodus, how Jews left slavery in Pharaoh's Egypt to become free peoples in their own land.’
- ‘With the Jewish Pesach or Passover, and the Christian's Easter, the emphasis is strictly religious.’
- ‘On the three big festivals - Passover, Shavuot and Succot - the people continue to stream to Jerusalem.’
- ‘This is a traditional question of the Jewish celebration of Passover.’
- ‘A third difference is that Chronicles states that all Israel observed the Passover, that is, both the people of Judah and of Israel.’
- ‘The prime minister was speaking ahead of the week-long Jewish holiday of Passover which began at sundown last night.’
- ‘The date of Easter, which is based on the Jewish festival of Passover, is still calculated using the Metonic cycle (via the golden number).’
- ‘I want to wish you, of course, a happy Passover, which the Jewish community, of course, is winding up celebrating today.’
From pass over ‘pass without touching’, with reference to the exemption of the Israelites from the death of their firstborn (Exod. 12).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.