One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extinct long-tailed North American pigeon, noted for its long migrations in huge flocks. It was relentlessly hunted, the last individual dying in captivity in 1914.
- ‘Although too late to save the passenger pigeon, which became extinct in 1914, they preserved the bison.’
- ‘As with other species whose populations humans have dramatically influenced - the passenger pigeon, the Canada goose, and the raccoon - whitetail deer have taught us how little we know about managing wildlife.’
- ‘The film is presented for the welfare of the world by the cheetah, the passenger pigeon and the dodo, which have become extinct.’
- ‘The bison and the passenger pigeon were nearing extinction.’
- ‘The authors provide many examples of markets organizing the extinction of species, such as the passenger pigeon.’
- ‘Some have become extinct, the great auk, the passenger pigeon and the famous dodo bird have all disappeared.’
- ‘The passenger pigeon, once abundant in North American skies, was wiped out over a 50 year period at the end of the nineteenth century due to rapid deforestation and excessive hunting.’
- ‘Fuller's stories of marginal survivals, tiny populations and often quite absurdly-limited habitats are balanced by the story of the passenger pigeon which once ranged across the American plains in billions.’
- ‘The euro may strengthen against the dollar, but I think the dollar and the euro share the same fate, like the passenger pigeon and the Carolina parakeet.’
- ‘One of the most popular Delmonico's dishes was the passenger pigeon, which went extinct in 1914.’
- ‘American fears of wholesale species extinction, triggered by the loss of the passenger pigeon and the precipitous decline of bison, conjoined humanitarians and sports hunters in a way without parallel in Britain.’
- ‘If we had been smarter, we'd still have the passenger pigeon and the Carolina parakeet.’
- ‘The last passenger pigeon in the wild was reportedly shot by a boy in Ohio in 1900.’
- ‘Remains of birds that migrated into Alabama in the fall, such as the passenger pigeon, were identified.’
- ‘If the trend continues, soon enough the American hunter will be as extinct as the passenger pigeon.’
- ‘Birdlife International calls this the fastest bird species extinction in 150 years - the worst since the demise of the passenger pigeon.’
- ‘‘Lost Passenger’ is a poem to the extinct passenger pigeon.’
- ‘In the nineteenth century, hunters eradicated the passenger pigeon, drove the American bison to the brink of extinction, and eliminated elk from much of the central Rockies.’
- ‘The passenger pigeon was an attractive bird with a blue back and a pink breast that existed in huge populations.’
- ‘Animal resources historically thought inexhaustible, species like the passenger pigeon, the bison, and even the great whales themselves, have proved the most susceptible to over-exploitation or outright extinction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.