One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pitch that the catcher fails to stop or control, enabling a base runner to advance.
- ‘It's a total no team has matched since, or is likely to given the current propensity to hang around third base waiting for a hit, sacrifice fly, wild pitch, passed ball, error or even balk to cover the rest of the way home.’
- ‘But those passed balls didn't seem to be as bothersome last year.’
- ‘Scorers, of course, must not only make determinations of errors, passed balls, and wild pitches, but also fill out detailed forms that include all pertinent statistics of the game for the league office.’
- ‘His average was .205, and although he didn't have an error, he allowed three passed balls in his first 19 games.’
- ‘One day with the Mets he saw a wild pitch followed by a passed ball, declared himself dizzy from watching the Dodgers run and said, ‘Makes a man think.’’
- ‘Simply put, it is reconstructing an inning without errors or passed balls.’
- ‘‘You know you can't afford to walk anyone, not allow a passed ball on strike three or a wild pitch on strike three that you don't block,’ Girardi said.’
- ‘No perfect game can be credited to a pitcher if any runner on an opposing team reaches first base safely, whether by a fielder's error, by being hit with a pitch or, as in your case, by means of a passed ball charged to the catcher.’
- ‘He's still throwing baserunners out, but he already has allowed a career-high seven passed balls.’
- ‘It can be by virtue of a hit, a putout, an error, a forceout, a fielder's choice, a passed ball, a wild pitch, a balk, or a stolen base.’
- ‘Pitchers, of course, must cover the plate on wild pitch and passed ball third strike situations when there is an advancing runner coming home.’
- ‘My brother and I have been trying to find out how you record the at-bat for a batter reaching first base after being struck out on a passed ball.’
- ‘They are the N.L's worst fielding team statistically, ranking in the top three in lowest percentage, most errors, most ERs allowed and most passed balls.’
- ‘Instead, the result was a passed ball, the baserunners advanced, and the inning dragged on.’
- ‘This person is appointed by the league, sits in the press box and determines whether a play is a hit or an error, a wild pitch or a passed ball or even sometimes no play at all.’
- ‘While he still leads the league in passed balls, he's committed only one error thus far.’
- ‘He led National League catchers four times in fielding, and tied a league record in 1941 by allowing no passed balls in 114 games.’
- ‘He fanned the next two, but a passed ball advanced the runners.’
- ‘Because the runners are thinking about moving, they are more apt to take an extra base on a wild pitch or passed ball.’
- ‘Taubensee tries to stop these pitches with his glove instead of getting his body in front of the ball, which leads to passed ball and wild pitches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.