One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A fast-paced ballroom dance based on a Latin American style of marching.
- ‘Latin is the rumba, jive, paso doble, cha-cha and samba.’
- ‘As usual, at the first opportunity, the Monkey stood up and danced a paso doble, juggling raw fish and grapes.’
- ‘Can the hip-hoppers do the paso doble; can the Latin champs do the funk?’
- ‘Two energetic and angry sailfish on the line at the same time takes a certain amount of fancy footwork on a small deck and Raphael and I did a neat paso doble for about 20 minutes until both fish were tagged and released.’
- ‘The Latin category consists of the rumba, cha cha, samba, paso doble and jive.’
- 1.1 A piece of music for the paso doble, typically in duple time.
- ‘There is Italian smooch-song and Spanish light music, paso doble and tango.’
1920s: from Spanish, literally ‘double step’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.