One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dance for two people, typically a man and a woman.
- ‘Bethany recalls dancing the pas de deux with Jonathan Howells.’
- ‘His performance, including a pas de deux from Swan Lake, brings down the house.’
- ‘A storm had begun as they danced their last pas de deux together onstage.’
- ‘These were mostly pas de deux danced in succession, with little variation.’
- ‘Its balcony pas de deux is performed at countless galas and its structure seems both monumental and definitive.’
- ‘While the pas de deux was performed well, it was not particularly memorable.’
- ‘The kiss at the end of the pas de deux becomes a more realistically passionate and tender moment when the couple is really in love.’
- ‘The many pas de deux were well crafted, each clearly depicting its true or false emotion.’
- ‘Fans have been known to dash across the plaza during intermission to catch a premiere or a favorite pas de deux, and this year is no exception.’
- ‘It's kind of a love story, a pas de deux between a Scotsman and a sylph.’
- ‘She later interrupts a pas de deux forcing it into a trio.’
- ‘While I staged the pas de deux and the Chinese Tea variations, Suzanne did almost everything else.’
- ‘Now she teaches the pas de deux to students as an essential classic.’
- ‘It is a jazz pas de deux and a tuxedo duet punctuated by brilliant solos, mixing the playful and erotic in a rapid succession.’
- ‘Creating a pas de deux is like making a sculpture.’
- ‘Others focused on the pas de deux and the several variations.’
- ‘The several pas de deux for the heroine and her lover have a limited assortment of steps and plenty of identical lifts.’
- ‘Her huntress was in full command, capable of mischief in the cave scene but also the solemn joy of true love in the climactic pas de deux.’
- ‘A pas de deux followed; one of the handsome young women deals with a crouching man, perhaps her child.’
- ‘He spoke of the pas de deux in Cinderella as being beautiful.’
French, literally ‘step of two’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.