One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of giving birth to young; childbirth.‘the weeks following parturition’
childbirth, giving birth, birth, birthing, delivery, labourView synonyms
- ‘Although the end of puberty and the beginning of adulthood are not clearly demarcated, first conception, pregnancy, or parturition are frequently used markers.’
- ‘It should however be used with caution during pregnancy, parturition and menstruation.’
- ‘Sex differences in size and form of the pelvis are related to its function in parturition although variation in size and form are not always gender specific.’
- ‘Pregnancy gingivitis tends to resolve on parturition.’
- ‘Cows that calve in hot summer months may experience a longer period from parturition to subsequent pregnancy.’
Mid 17th century: from late Latin parturitio(n-), from parturire ‘be in labor’ (see parturient).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.