One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A suite, typically for a solo instrument or chamber ensemble.‘unaccompanied violin partitas’
- ‘With the cello suites and the solo violin sonatas and partitas, they form a triptych of Bach at his most concentrated and intimate.’
- ‘The solo violin works alternate partitas and sonatas.’
- ‘Contestants could choose part of a Bach solo sonata or a partita.’
- ‘The recording was inspired by the research of Helga Thoene, a musicologist who argues that Bach alluded to chorales in the Chaconne from the second partita for solo violin.’
- ‘These six works, written in a year, are in a direct line from Bach's solo violin sonatas and partitas.’
Late 19th century: from Italian, literally ‘divided off’, feminine past participle of partire.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.