One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Reproduction from an ovum without fertilization, especially as a normal process in some invertebrates and lower plants.
- ‘This process is known as parthenogenesis, where unfertilized eggs develop into embryos without sperm.’
- ‘In asexual reproduction, eggs develop without fertilization, a process called parthenogenesis.’
- ‘Gynogenesis is like parthenogenesis in that diploid zygotes inheriting all chromosomes from their mother can develop without a genetic contribution from males.’
- ‘Some species consist only of females that produce their daughters from unfertilized eggs, a type of reproduction called parthenogenesis.’
- ‘Reproductive modes include sexual reproduction and parthenogenesis, but much remains to be known about development.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek parthenos ‘virgin’ + genesis ‘creation’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.