A category to which a word is assigned in accordance with its syntactic functions. In English the main parts of speech are noun, pronoun, adjective, determiner, verb, adverb, preposition, conjunction, and interjection.
- ‘I am working on a book about the parts of speech - that's right, nouns, verbs, interjections and all the rest.’
- ‘However, while all of the absent antecedents are duly filled in, we are left with a sense that pronouns are not the only parts of speech left unspoken.’
- ‘It reviews the parts of speech and teaches the parts of a sentence and punctuation.’
- ‘Stress placement in English may also change the part of speech of a word.’
- ‘A wide variety of lesson plans are linked, including interactive lessons on teaching adverbs, conjunctions, and the parts of speech.’