Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Inlaid work of blocks of various woods arranged in a geometric pattern, especially for flooring or furniture.
inset, set, enchased, ornamented, decorated, studded, lined, panelled, tiledView synonyms
- ‘A low table - only calf-high - filled the center of the room; oak, it looked like, with parquetry designs inlaid in the surface.’
- ‘Stacey and Jaycob followed the pair onto the dance floor: a wooden parquetry.’
- ‘Chris then pushed back his chair with a violent screech as it scraped the parquetry, and stood up to his full height.’
- ‘The floors, once covered with the finest parquetry, are unrecognisable, the blinds don't work, the light-bulbs drape from thin wires where lamps used to hang.’
- ‘Ramps on both sides drop to parquetry floored galleries that provide increased height for the display of QUT's impressive collection.’
- ‘And I'd swear that it was in a brown parquetry veneer bowl.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.