One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Flooring composed of wooden blocks arranged in a geometric pattern.
- ‘An ocean of polished parquet flooring stood between the stairs and the front door.’
- ‘An ornamental sink, parquet flooring and solid wood units at eye and floor level are features of this cosy room.’
- ‘The entrance hall with open tread staircase and polished parquet flooring leads to a drawing room and bar area with a beamed ceiling and a timber floor.’
- ‘He also retained the herringbone parquet flooring and double-height sash windows, blending the existing elements of the building with sumptuous fabrics and walnut panelling.’
- ‘The dining room has a pitched ceiling, an original fireplace, parquet flooring and two front-facing arched windows.’
- ‘The most popular styles of hardwood flooring are parquet, strip and plank.’
- ‘Only marginally smaller than the lounge and with a similar bay window that also has stained glass leaded panels, the sitting room has another ornate marble fireplace with a coal-effect gas fire and oak parquet flooring.’
- ‘Across the hall is an elegant dining room, also with original oak parquet flooring, while the lounge has another gas fireplace as well as a window seat overlooking the front garden.’
- ‘Many of the floors are parquet or other forms of wooden flooring.’
- ‘The house is accessed via a tiled porch, beyond which the L-shaped hallway includes parquet flooring, ceiling coving and understairs storage.’
- ‘The room has an impressive Adam-style marble fireplace and although presently carpeted, is fitted with parquet flooring.’
- ‘It is finished to high standards with parquet flooring throughout, gypsum walls and ceilings, air conditioning and triple glazing.’
- ‘A dog-leg staircase which has the original wrought-iron railing leads to the first floor landing with herringbone parquet flooring.’
- ‘When sanding parquet, block, herringbone and similar flooring, it is necessary to cross the grain of many pieces with each pass.’
- ‘The trend for recycling salvaged sinks, tiles, parquet flooring and gargoyles, or anything else that can be gleaned from about-to-be-demolished noteworthy buildings, has boomed.’
- ‘The ceilings have fantastic mouldings, the floors are mostly wooden parquet throughout (except the red tiles in the kitchen) and the main rooms have exquisite marble fireplaces.’
- ‘In the first floor offices oak parquet flooring and silver aluminium roof make a soothing, neutral interior.’
- ‘This includes money spent on fitting carpets, laying parquet flooring, installing new electrical lighting, fitting a new bathroom suite and installing a new kitchen.’
- ‘The living room is immediately to the left inside the hall and it has parquet flooring and a cast-iron fireplace.’
2North American The ground floor of a theater or auditorium.
- ‘However, the traditional faculty-staff seating - four sections in the parquet - remains, and most faculty will be seated there.’
- ‘Seen from the Parquet and illuminated by the skylight, a sculpture by Irène Whittome gives an atmosphere of relaxation.’
3(in France and French-speaking countries) the branch of the administration of the law that deals with the prosecution of crime.
Late 17th century (as a verb): from French, literally ‘small park (i.e. delineated area)’. The noun dates from the early 19th century.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.