One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of a parotid gland, especially (infectious parotitis) mumps.
- ‘Rare presentations of infection include severe haemorrhage, jaundice, parotitis, and cardiomyopathy.’
- ‘Mumps results from infection with the mumps virus and can lead to parotitis, meningoencephalitis, and orchitis.’
- ‘She suffers from asthma, has a known allergy to dust, and has had recurrent episodes of parotitis.’
- ‘In the presence of parotitis and particularly during an epidemic, the diagnosis of mumps is straightforward.’
- ‘The great majority of cases begin as a tonsillitis or pharyngitis with occasional cases associated with mastoiditis, otitis media, parotitis, sinusitis and dental infections.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.