Inflammation of a parotid gland, especially (infectious parotitis) mumps.
- ‘Mumps results from infection with the mumps virus and can lead to parotitis, meningoencephalitis, and orchitis.’
- ‘Rare presentations of infection include severe haemorrhage, jaundice, parotitis, and cardiomyopathy.’
- ‘The great majority of cases begin as a tonsillitis or pharyngitis with occasional cases associated with mastoiditis, otitis media, parotitis, sinusitis and dental infections.’
- ‘In the presence of parotitis and particularly during an epidemic, the diagnosis of mumps is straightforward.’
- ‘She suffers from asthma, has a known allergy to dust, and has had recurrent episodes of parotitis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.