One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of a pair of large salivary glands situated just in front of each ear.
- ‘The infection may extend to involve the parotid gland, cartilage, bone, nerves, and blood vessels.’
- ‘It is generally accepted that dedifferentiated carcinomas are associated with a poor clinical outcome, as they tend to involve the whole parotid gland and invade the facial nerve.’
- ‘Swollen submandibular glands and parotid glands as well as esophagitis, esophageal spasm, and esophageal tearing and potentially fatal ruptures can occur from constant vomiting.’
- ‘There are three pairs of major salivary glands: the parotid glands, situated behind the jaw in front of the ear, and the submandibular and sublingual glands that lie under the jaw and tongue.’
- ‘Twenty-seven tumors were from parotid glands, 8 from submandibular glands, 5 from the palate, 2 from unspecified major salivary glands, and 1 from the tongue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.