One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A limited or narrow outlook, especially focused on a local area; narrow-mindedness.‘accusations of parochialism’
narrow-mindedness, localism, provincialism, insularity, narrowness, small-mindednessView synonyms
- ‘I mean, if this were Wales say, or Scotland, I dare say I could rabbit away about small-minded, provincial parochialism.’
- ‘All at once, unattractive qualities such as insularity, parochialism and downright arrogance were introduced into the previously contented continental mix.’
- ‘He must not now besmear that with parochialism, narrow-mindedness and partiality.’
- ‘Post-Civil-War America therefore seemed to exhibit the worst kind of small-minded, lacklustre parochialism, but it had coupled it with a loutish popularism.’
- ‘In Scotland, and in Wales, there are arguments breaking out about the rejection of a United Kingdom side being an example of narrow-minded parochialism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.