One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A maid employed to serve at table.
attendant, retainerView synonyms
- ‘As our family grew we'd hired more servants so that now we had a parlourmaid, two housemaids, two kitchenmaids, a scullerymaid, Mrs. Benson, Mr. Richards and the cook.’
- ‘A parlourmaid's job is relatively easy, even more so than a housemaid's job and I was given more freedom and more responsibility.’
- ‘There was a knock on the door and the parlourmaid Katie came in.’
- ‘Antoinette this is Brenda our parlourmaid, and Nellie our housemaid.’
- ‘Liszt returned his attention to where Caroline was, but he saw not the girl, but an old parlourmaid of the queen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.