One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The activity or sport of moving rapidly through an area, typically in an urban environment, negotiating obstacles by running, jumping, and climbing.
- ‘It also seems that London traceurs have been exploring the potential for parkour around the estate architecture.’
- ‘It is, instead, boisterous and noisy and in its way, joyous, its political backdrop merely an occasion for more parkour.’
- ‘What does parkour give you that these sports do not?’
- ‘With parkour there's no competitions, you're not going out to prove something to a coach or a sponsor or competing with other runners.’
- ‘When it comes to parkour everything is free.’
- ‘I call what I do parkour, but I don't worry about the politics of it.’
- ‘Looking for different ways to jump an obstacle is a creative thing in parkour.’
- ‘As parkour migrates to the States so do American stunt ninjas find their way onto the internet.’
- ‘It's fair to say that parkour is an extreme sport (as extreme as they come, maybe).’
- ‘For me, parkour has a phenomenal power of attraction.’
- ‘It totally contradicts my personal practise of parkour, but as an 'ambassador' of it, I've found myself doing shows.’
- ‘Individuals have always gathered together simply to practise parkour.’
- ‘However, my reaction wasn't against any individual as such, but rather the message that was being communicated about parkour.’
- ‘In their youth, Sebastien and his pals played a variety of sports which all, in one way or another, contributed to their development of parkour.’
- ‘Consider the action-choreography: ignoring the conveniently placed pipes, parkour is used with naturalistic effect, but the combat sequences seem over-rehearsed and delivered with rigid control.’
- ‘Well, Belle is the founder of an entirely new extreme sport known as parkour.’
- ‘"For the choreography it was pretty easy because that's a big part of what parkour is about," recalls Sebastien.’
- ‘And if you are interested to try some parkour or urban exploration and happen to be located in Stockholm, Sweden you can consider yourself invited to the Urban Ninja Crew.’
- ‘Like the latest extreme sport, parkour, the artist has to work with the building environment around him and create their own art.’
- ‘Jumping over a bench in P.E. class isn't creative, but parkour forces you to think about how you can jump.’
Early 21st century: French, alteration of parcours ‘route, course’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.